Ah children, welcome again to our class. Let's hope we can learn a bit more this time around!
Writer's block is something that annoys it all. When the story gets stuck, it can take a very long time to get back in the track.
I've always found that when my friends have problems with their creative writing at school, it is caused 99% of the time by the character. Those characters are really evil, all wanting to undermine their authors, and try to take over control. The fact that they're not real means that these situations always end up with the author being stumped as to what to write.
So in order to show your character who's boss, try to get to know them a bit better. Sure, you may have a detailed profile written out, but those Otaku Senshi types are crafty, and hiding stuff that you don't know about them. It's up to YOU to find that out. And if they won't tell you, they'll have to make do with what you give them.
So, here are some questions to interrogate your underhanded Senshi with:
2. Are they in their teens? Are they Female? If so, there's certain things going on in their bodies. When was the last time one of these things happened? How do they deal with it? Are they male? There's also things going on in this stage of their lives too. How do they deal with it? For both genders, how does this effect their life as a Senshi?
3. Are they young? If so, what monsters are they scared of? The boogie man? The ankle grabber? The closet monster? Why are they afraid of that particular figment of their imagination? Every child has some monster they are afraid of. If they're not afraid of a monster, why not? How does this effect their life as a Senshi?
4. Are they an adult? How do they work out their budgeting? Or do they still live with their parents who pay for everything? Do they have to eat less sometimes because they can't pay for the food? Do they have to walk to work (if they have a job)? How does this effect their life as a Senshi?
5. What's their favourite type of music? Does this effect their personality? Does it put them in a 'clique' in their everyday life? Do they have a favourite band? Does this effect their life as a Senshi at all?
6. When was the last time they saw a movie? What is their favourite movie? Who is their favourite actor? Are they obsessed with a certain actor? Does this effect their life as a Senshi at all?
7. How do they sleep? Normally? On their side? Upside down? Are they an insomniac? Do they wake up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet and have a glass of water? Do they sleepwalk/talk/scream? How does this effect their life as a Senshi?
8. Do they like being photographed? What do they do when someone brings out a camera? How well known are they to the public in terms of their Senshi form? Do they like the media having all eyes on them? How does this effect their life as a Senshi?
9. How do they communicate with people? Do they prefer face to face? Over the phone? Maybe they embrace hand-written letters rather than emails? Do they lurk around an online forum? Do they have to keep this contact up regularly? How does this effect their life as a Senshi?
10. How much junk food do they eat? What type? Do they eat lots of chocolate and soft drink? Maybe they prefer alcohol. Or vegetables. If they like soft drink, do they like Pepsi or Coke better? Or maybe they prefer no-name brands. How does this effect their life as a Senshi?
And if the characters prove not to be the problem, go after the rest of what you've written, and ask yourself the ULTRA MAGIC SPECIAL SIX ONE WORD QUESTIONS!
WHO?: Who has been in the story so far? Who is in control of this situation (in the story, we're not battling with our character at the moment…)? Who can do what in this situation? Etc.
WHAT?: What has happened before this? What is going to happen after it? Etc.
WHERE?: Where are the characters at the moment? Where are they going to go? Etc.
WHEN?: When in the day is it (lighting changes a lot!)? When in the year? Etc.
WHY?: Why is what has happened before now happened? Why are you stuck for that matter? Etc.
HOW?: How is what I have written so far going to fit into the rest of the story? How will it effect the rest of this chapter? The next chapter? Etc.
If all else fails, move on and write the next part. Come back to where you were later.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to drop me a line at email@example.com